The National Federation of the Blind’s Code of Conduct outlines the policies and standards that we have established for the community of individuals who come together in our organized blind movement. On this page, you will find links to the current version of the code (in a variety of formats), the form for reporting violations of the code, a frequently asked question page, and a variety of supplemental resources and guidance documents.
Code of Conduct Updated December 19, 2021
The National Federation of the Blind’s Code of Conduct is available in several formats:
- NFB Code of Conduct (HTML)
- NFB Code of Conduct (Braille Ready Format)
- NFB Code of Conduct (MP3 audio)
- NFB Code of Conduct (PDF)
For additional information, please review the Code of Conduct Frequently Asked Questions.
All reports of violations of this Code of Conduct can be filed in one of the following ways. Regardless of how they are filed, all reports regarding violations of this code will lead to the same response procedures as outlined in the code:
- Complete the online code of conduct reporting form
- Send an email to [email protected]
- Leave a voicemail at 410-659-9314, extension 2475
- Give a verbal or written report to a designated responsible leader of the Federation. Responsible leaders include national board members, affiliate board members, local chapter or division board members, national division board members, Federation employees, and staff/board members of NFB-affiliated training centers.
- Guidance document from RAINN, the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization – coming soon
- RAINN’s National Resources for Sexual Assault Survivors and Their Loved Ones
- RAINN's State Law Database
- Obligations of Elected Leaders document provides guidance to those considered responsible leaders under the Federation’s code and how to effectively share information.
- Connect with our Blind Survivors Group, an intentional space for blind survivors of sexual misconduct and other forms of trauma and/or abuse, along with their allies, to share support and resources leveraging the positive philosophy of the Federation. The group will serve as a knowledge base and authentic voice for continuing to inform safety and support efforts within the organized blind movement.
If you have additional questions that are not addressed here, please write to [email protected]. Please send recommendations regarding how we can improve our processes or better support survivors of sexual misconduct and abuse to [email protected] or call 410-659-9314, extension 2238. Questions and concerns regarding harassment and inequities can be directed to our Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at [email protected]. Feedback can always be directed to our national President at [email protected].