Accessibility boutiques are workshops presented by our access technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in access tech.
The accessibility boutiques are offered by the National Federation of the Blind at no cost to Maryland citizens with support from the state of Maryland through the Nonvisual Accessibility Initiative grant administered by the Maryland Department of Disabilities.
Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques
July 2019 – Creating Braille Documents Using Compatible Software
Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 8:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
Jernigan Institute, Baltimore, MD, Fourth Floor Tech Training Lab
Learn how to create accurate Braille documents using Microsoft Word and the Duxbury Braille Translator. Free and open to the public, this boutique will cover the following:
- Setting up your computer to work with Microsoft Word and Duxbury through the use of Swift, an add-in from Duxbury Systems which adds an embossing menu to Microsoft Word. This allows users to format documents for Brailling with the familiar styles and features of Word, and then translate the file into Braille right from the Word program.
- Checking the Duxbury document before Brailling it to be sure the format is correct.
- Sample files to work with and keep for your own use.
- Embossing the document on paper or saving it as a Braille-ready document to be used electronically.
- Reasons for Braille certification and the courses available either for general purposes or for educational purposes.
This boutique is designed for those interested in Brailling documents in a business setting or educational environment, and will include useful and new tips for certified transcribers and those looking to become certified. Take advantage of this opportunity to enhance inclusion and accessibility for Braille readers. Please RSVP to email@example.com.
For more information about our accessibility boutiques, please call 410-659-9314, option 5 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.